The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's senior advisor for nursing, Sue Hassmiller, recently published an article for American Nurse Today, offering insight to help nurses take the first steps toward board service. Before considering board service, she writes, consider these five action steps:
1. Create a personal strategic plan. Think about and articulate what you want to achieve, and develop specific action steps to achieve it.
2. Be passionate. Find an organization outside your workplace with a mission you can support and issues about which you have knowledge or skills.
3. Start locally. Start in your community and look for opportunities to serve in leadership.
4. Build connections. Begin to build connections outside your profession and more broadly within your community.
5. Seek ongoing education. Invest in yourself through continuing education on leadership and board skills.
Click here to learn more.